Being Bad can be pretty good.

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Being Bad can be pretty good.
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 12:41:43 -0400
OK, last night I did something I have never done in my life, I went against
the wisdom of this list!  8>)

A few days ago I asked about filling tires with insulated foam to create a
hard tire.

I got a bunch of feedback, all of which stated that it isn't recommended.
After checking many links, and getting the same, WAY TO EXPENSIVE option, I
decided to try it and see.  If it doesn't work, I can cut the tires off and
try again.

Well, I can't believe how perfect it came out!  The tires feel as if they
are filled to exactly the correct presure of air.  Here is what I did and
some cavats...

Cavats, I did 4 wheels.  2 for a heavy duty mower deck, and 2 for a York
Rake.  Neither of these wheels are drive or steering and basicly just hold
the implement off the ground.  I doubt the weight of either these wheels is
over 50 lbs.

Next, this is a MESSY affair.  The spray foam gets everywhere (and doesn't
come off your hands easy.)

Here is what I did.  I removed the valve stem and cleaned the tire and rim
up.

Then I drilled 4 holes in the outside of the tire, just big enough to force
the foam can stem into. (each at 90 degrees from each other.)

Then I added the foam a little at a time to each hole.  It took alot more
foam then I thought to fill 4 X 8" tires.

Now, I don't know how long they will last, but for the $6 I spent on the
foam, it's well worth it if I get 1 season out of them!  8>)

Moose

"We all know we're dying, And there's no sign of a parachute."
     Tori Amos