Re: how to remove rust from inside old gas tank

To: Marc <smarc@smarc.net>
Subject: Re: how to remove rust from inside old gas tank
From: Mike Lee <mikel@ichips.intel.com>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 09:53:57 -0700
I've done the following with 3 tanks, and had good success.
1) remove petcock and seal openings
2) toss in handful of nuts/bolts into tank and vigorous shake them around the
tank to knock off major rust and scale; use shop vac/magnet to retrieve
nuts/bolts.  Repeat until major junk removed.
3) Yamaha makes a two part chemical tank de-ruster; first part is the
de-ruster, second part is a neutralizer.  The de-ruster is used in conjunction
with hot water; the hotter, the better.  It's very effective.  You can find
the stuff at Yamaha motorcycle dealers.
4) When the Yamaha stuff is done, I use some alcohol to try to absorb any
water in the tank, and then use my shop vac to blow air into the tank for a
while (to dry it out.

The de-ruster kit costs around $14, and will not harm your tank's paint if you
are careful.

Good luck!