Re: 2 vs 4 post lifts

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 2 vs 4 post lifts
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 11:46:35 -0800
Matt wrote:
> I don't think I have seen this discussed before...   Has anyone had the
> pleasure of owning both a 4 post and a 2 post lift before?

Oh, it certainly has been, not sure how much so on this list...the
following is my take, and I'm currently shopping for a 4-post for the
garage (and maybe I might put a used 2-post on the concrete pad behind
the garage someday for occasional use.)

2-post is great for service when you don't need the car sitting on its
wheels e.g. alignment, I would not use one for parking purposes because
I wouldn't want to hang the suspension at full-droop for prolonged
periods (for the same reason you tighten suspension bushings with the
vehicle at normal ride height) and it's also (relatively speaking) a
PITA to get vehicles on and off.

4-post not as convenient for most service purposes (except insofar as
it's easier to drive on/off) but may not have to be bolted down,
preferable for parking, not as commonly found used/cheap (and most that
are tend to be awfully big for residential garage use.)

John.