Re: Shop lighting ... (again)

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Shop lighting ... (again)
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 15:05:59 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 8 Jan 2007, Lee Daniels wrote:
> So I keep looking at Home Depot and Lowe's and there are 4' and 8' options,
> there are 'regular' and 'high output (HO)' options, there are T8 and T12
> options, there color temperature options (I think I want "daylight", i.e. high
> color temperature). The HO lighting is, I believe, the best when the
> temperature gets low. The T8 tubes are apparently more efficient. The 4' tubes
> seem to be less expensive in the long run, but I'm not sure.

   I've had four twin-bulb 4' T12 fixtures in my garage since I bought the
house.  They worked fine... until the temperature dropped below 50, which
it does for about 4-5 months a year in my unheated garage.  I recently
replaced two of them after an embarrassing incident where a friend came
over to check out some used race tires, and we had to do it by flashlight
because none of the four fixtures would turn on at all ( single digits
outside ).

   I got two 4' T8 fixtures from HD, with some sort of daylight temp
bulbs, and it was the best $60 I've ever spent.  These things light
immediately at any temperature, and the pair handles the whole
2-car garage.  I was going to get two more, but I'll need more switches,
because four will be blinding if they're all on ;)

--
 David Hillman
 #26 B1