CounterTalk

To: "shop talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: CounterTalk
From: "Wente" <dlwrew@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 21:47:48 -0600
This thread brought back wonderful memories of my suburban parts store in the
late sixties when I was the owner/mechanic of a sequential series of Corvairs.
Being young and without substantial means, I was very appreciative of the
staff who helped me keep vehicles running without major incident. My favorite
was 'Rocky', one of the co-owners. A true veteran of the counterwars, and a
can do individual of the first order. When I had the VW Beetle, and hippie
van, even sourced parts from the most difficult vendor ever.(anyone remember
World Parts?) On one occasion I thought I'd have a bit of fun at his expense
and came to the counter with my request for a water pump for the 65 Corsa four
carb. Without hesitation his reply was, with or without air-conditioning, as
he walked back to the rack, retrieving a cooling fan bearing. I never was
never the butt of humor, while I was in the store anyway. But they did approve
when I bought the SuperStockPlymouth, figuring I had grown up and got a real
car. Thanks, Rocky, I still remember you.

Rick Wente
Stillwater, MN

Regressed, I guess, with 3 Triumphs