Pipe size conundrum and turning a fence into a log rack

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Pipe size conundrum and turning a fence into a log rack
From: "old dirtbeard" <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 12:34:43 -0800
Ok, so I'm not a pipe fitter or a plumber, but I built a firewood rack out of
galvanized pipe from a chain link fence I just removed. I used the "top rail"
1 3/8" OD, to create an 8' long, three-pipe platform with two 24" cross
members which. I just drilled them and put threaded rod through the 8' long
pipe into the 24" wide cross members and the cross members sit on two concrete
blocks (you'll need a good imagination, but something like this:

     |  |                                        |  |
     |  |                                        |  |
     |  |                                        |  |
     |  |                                        |  |

   <-------- 8' ----------->

Anyway, I tried attaching 40"  vertical pipes on the ends keep the logs from
rolling off the end of the rack, but don't know the best way to do it. I am
hoping to use some iron 90 degree elbows but have a few questions for the
group:

Q1 This fence post is 1 3/8" OD, and if recollect correctly, would it be
considered 1" pipe if it were normal iron pipe?

Q2. The actual ID of the pipe is 1.15"  (roughly 1 5/32"). I think it would be
pretty thin-walled to thread (I also only have a threader for 1/2" pipe). I
saw some unthreaded iron 90 degree elbows in McMaster-Carr that I thought I
could just slip on and weld/braze them in place (very little pressure or
weight on the vertical pipes, a good deal of weight on the horizontal pipes).
Is this a sane idea?

Q3. Does anybody in the group have a better idea for creating "end-stops" for
the rack?

Maybe I should not have built it out of galvanized fence post, but I had a ton
of it after taking down the fence, the log racks that I have seen are really
thin-walled tubing, the galv. pipe was much stronger and will not rust, and it
was free (I also would have had to cut it up anyway to recycle it if I did not
use it).

Anyway, I would like any advice you may have.

best,

doug

'72 BSA B50SS
'74 Triumph TR6