Re: Air line piping: Part Deux...er...Trois

To: <scott.hall@comcast.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Air line piping: Part Deux...er...Trois
From: "Arvid Jedlicka" <arvidj@visi.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 10:07:02 -0600
What I did was put the 3/4 inch main loop on top of the rafters about a foot
and a half in from the side walls. Then the 1/2 inch
drop goes up from the main loop, over the foot and a half, and then down thru
the top plate of the wall. This foot and a half allows
the walls, the garage and the copper to expand, contract, move, settle, etc.
without ripping each other apart.

I may be solving a problem that I did not have [i.e. the ripping each other
apart], but thought I'd pass it on anyway.

If your walls are insulated and/or covered with sheetrock, etc., fixing a leak
in the wall is an adventure.

And putting the drain on the end of the drop is interesting. Normally the drop
would come down, then a T with the air fitting on the
stem and the drain on the other straight leg. But the straight leg would be in
the wall so the drain would be in the wall so ...

The obvious, though in my opinion sub-optimal solution was the drop comes down
to a 90, then thru the sheetrock, then to a T with
the air fitting on the straight leg and the drain on the stem leg. Which is why
I have a condenser and a dryer at the tank - to
minimize the amount of moisture that gets into the lines in the first place,
giving my sub-optimal wall drains as little to do as
possible.

Arvid