RE: Air line piping: Part Deux...er...Trois

To: <scott.hall@comcast.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Air line piping: Part Deux...er...Trois
From: "Marknsuz" <marknsuz@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 22:58:27 -0800
> okay, here's an interesting (okay, to me), if only semi-related question:
>
> I'd like to run the air lines through the walls (the studs) and just have
the
> outlets/drains poke out through the wall itself (because I'm a geek and a
glutton for
> punishment, okay?)
>
> how big can I make that pipe before I overly compromise the studs?  seems
like the
> o.d. of a 1" pipe would be pushing the limit for a 2x4, and even that
gives me the
> heebies.  maybe I'll be doing 2x6s after all, that way I could have the
drop loop over
> the supply run on the way down and still be behind the wall.  maybe...

I personally hate punching more holes in studs than are absolutely required.
What about running a main line up in the ceiling, come through the top plate
and into the walls as vertical drops where you'll have outlets.  Less
efficient (but: more volume!!) use of piping, but your walls will remain at
full strength and when you go and hang that shelf you'll have a reduced
chance of hitting air.