Re: Just Got a Cable Modem

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Just Got a Cable Modem
From: Rush <jdrush@enter.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 11:45:23 -0500
Thanks for all the advice I received on this question when I asked it
back in October. I took the security advice to heart and got myself two
used Linksys wired routers on fleabay for under $20 each. The BEFSX41,
which has a firewall built in, and the BEFSR41 which also has a firewall
built in, but is not advertised as such on the Linksys website. Anyway,
I used the BEFSX41 as my firewall and connection to my cable modem and
the BEFSR41 as a switch in the second room. I ran a cat 5 cable in
wiremolds between the two rooms to connect the routers.

Linksys could not make the setup of these routers any easier. The
hardest part was disabling DHCP on the second router and changing its IP
address so it worked as a switch. Everything else was literally plug and
play. Good stuff!

Thanks for all the advice,
Jon