Harbor Freight Central Pneumatic Inline Sander

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Harbor Freight Central Pneumatic Inline Sander
From: "Ben Zwissler" <bjzwissler@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 21:50:01 -0500
After less than an hour of use my Harbor Freight Central Pneumatic inline
sander won't work properly.  It started losing power and then finally just
quit working.  I found two problems, the eight metal studs that the nylon
sanding plate rides on were gouging into the plate and there was a lot of
resistance in the piston and valve motion.

I polished the studs as they were very rough and then disassembled the unit
and cleaned the pistons and valve with little or no effect.  I've had pretty
good luck with the cheap Chinese tools, but maybe my luck has run out.  I've
had this tool a year or so but today was the first extended use I'd given
it.  Anyone have any experience with this?  Any way to fix it or hould I
just give up and buy a better tool?

I already started looking and Ingersoll-Rand offers one for about $100.
Anyone have any experience with that?  The true professional tools look like
they're more than $200.  I want something that works, but I don't need the
durability a professional would demand.

Ben Zwissler
bjzwissler@comcast.net
Columbus, IN