RE: air grease gun tube

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: air grease gun tube
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 14:47:09 -0800
> I've got perennial problems with poor grease gun connectors, and usually
> struggle to get the nozzle onto the zerk, particularly when using the hose
> extension.

On the couplers I have trouble with, I've found that unscrewing the sleeve at
the end just 1/4 turn or so will help substantially.  In some cases, I've gone
as far as inserting a flat washer shim between the sleeve and the body, to get
the right sleeve position without leaking.

However, after trying several different guns, I finally found one that works to
my satisfaction.  Wish I could tell you where I bought it, but I've forgotten
and it doesn't have any markings on it.

> Is there a
> manually locking zerk connector available that will slip on easily and then
> you can overtly lock it, to avoid the hard push and too-easy pop-off (or the
> occasional near-impossible removal) ?

Not that I know of.

> And how about a narrow zerk connector for getting into tight u-joint crosses
> ??  Currently I have to use a really old little Alemite grease gun that
> doesn't even lock on - it's just got a cup at the end of a solid nozzle and
> you hold it onto the zerk with hand pressure only.  It's at least compact...

MMC has two grease-gun adapters that work that way, one straight and one angled.
But on my Triumphs, I can get my standard coupler in there by rotating the joint
to just the right position.  Of course, it helps to have the correct, extended
zerk.

Randall