Re: Infra Red Shop Heaters

To: <healeybn7@aol.com>, "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Infra Red Shop Heaters
From: "john niolon" <jniolon@bham.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 18:44:52 -0500
Dave,
I'm not heating/air guru... but I'll offer an opinion.  What you said was
true about infrared... it heats objects not the air... but if you don't run
it continuously they cool back off so you're not gaining much there..
everytime you use it ..it has to reheat the stuff under it...

We use them in some shops for localized heating ...over a workbench or a
work area... they do a decent job but step out of their "globe" of heating
and it's cold... and if you're bald like me... they blister the top of your
head while your hands/feet are cold.  This is with the heaters hanging about
10-12 feet above floor.

I'm in Alabama and we don't have Michigan winters... but will have plenty of
weather in the 30's during the winter..  my shop is 25x25, insulated and
sealed walls and ceiling with 1/4" plywood... concrete floor.  Two years ago
I put in a REZNOR ceiling hung vented natural gas heater (50k btu with
blower)in one corner with the thermostat in the opposite corner... keep it
set on about 55 degrees and never turn it off.  Honestly I haven't noticed
it on my gas bill at all.  I know there are formulas for calculating gas
usage based on btu output...google it and you can calculate your cost.

all I know is it sure is nice to work in shirtsleeves with warm tools when
it's 350 outside.  Even laying on the floor isn't uncomfortable... well
except the heater doesn't make it any easier to get my fat old body back
upright

john