RE: Staining a deck

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Staining a deck
From: "PJ McGarvey" <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 12:10:59 -0400
I've used the Sikkens CETOL 1 product, and it is a very good one, tho hard to
find.

Much better from personal experience than the Cabot finishes I've used.

Phil, since you are near Philadelphia, I'll mention that I found Sikkens at
Swains Hardware in Cape May, since I'm there from time to time.  But there is
probably a closer place near you, if you go to the website and search.

PJ

> Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 10:10:45 -0400> From: pete@partnercomm.com> To:
shop-talk@autox.team.net> Subject: Re: Staining a deck> > > I used Sykkens
Cetol DEK Finish in June to protect the new 12'X16' IPE > deck we built (to
replace the old/decrepit pressure-treated 9'X16'). It > looks absolutely
excellent after a summer of rain and sun. I didn't go > for a color, per se,
as the #78 (Natural) I selected simply brought out > the existing color of the
IPE.> > I had considered going with Trex (the Brasilia series) until I found >
that the IPE was less expensive.> > Reviews I found online liked it, though
technically it isn't a "stain". > Make sure it has UV stabilizers - that may
help with the yellow/browning > of the stain...> > Perhaps you need a bigger
awning? :)> > -Peter> > --> Peter Murray (N3IXY)> Oak Hill, VA> > Phil Nase
wrote:> > I used a Cabot stain this year in May after pressure washing my
deck.  The> > stain didn't hold up over the summer.  Where I have an awning
covering the> > deck the stain is still good color.  Everywhere else where
exposed to sun> > and rain the stain darkened to a dirty brown color.  (I used
a cedar stain> > over ceder decking).  Could be the excess rain this year but
I'm still> > searching for a decent stain. YMMV.  > > > > The stain I used was
a transparent type.  I used it to have less color in> > hopes that it wouldn't
do exactly what it did do.   > > > > If someone has a good product to use I
would appreciate knowing what it is.> > > > Phil Nase> > Quakertown, PA> >
http://home.comcast.net/~philnasecpa
Share your special moments by uploading 500 photos per month to Windows Live
Spaces
http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0100000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://spac
es.live.com/signup.aspx