RE: Staining a deck

To: "Shop-Talk List" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Staining a deck
From: "Phil Nase" <nase@ptd.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 08:50:04 -0400
I used a Cabot stain this year in May after pressure washing my deck.  The
stain didn't hold up over the summer.  Where I have an awning covering the
deck the stain is still good color.  Everywhere else where exposed to sun
and rain the stain darkened to a dirty brown color.  (I used a cedar stain
over ceder decking).  Could be the excess rain this year but I'm still
searching for a decent stain. YMMV.

The stain I used was a transparent type.  I used it to have less color in
hopes that it wouldn't do exactly what it did do.

If someone has a good product to use I would appreciate knowing what it is.

Phil Nase
Quakertown, PA
http://home.comcast.net/~philnasecpa

Bill,

I'm in WA as well and put a new deck in last year. I used Cabot stain and
considered using a garden pump sprayer but was hung up on the "back
brushing" as well. I ended up using paint pads (they have them for
decks/stain) mounted on the end of a paint pole or drywall sanding pole, and
a paint tray. This allowed me to coat the deck without bending over much.

Wayne