Concrete mixer question

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Concrete mixer question
From: "Galt, Stuart A" <stuart.a.galt@boeing.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 08:28:31 -0700
Hello all,

I seem to be getting a bunch of projects recently that involve concrete.
have noticed that there are three basic styles of concrete mixers:

- High: This mixer is designed to dump the load into a wheelbarrow.
They
  seem to span the range from the $99 special up to very big and $$$$
- Low: Kind of like a 2 wheel wheelbarrow.  They have a lower loading
height
  and the ones I saw at home despot have a plastic drum (Is plastic
better
  than the metal drums?)
- 3pt: These hook on the back of the tractor.  The ones I have looked at
have
  a hydraulic dump so getting a little bit of concrete may be easier?  I
have
  a 30hp tractor that I think should be big enough to run one of
these...

My immediate needs are for putting in about 400 ft of chain link fence
with a
"no dig" concrete curb (6" deep x 12" wide) along the bottom of the
fence.  I
also need to pour footings for several outbuildings over the next year
or so..

My questions are:

Metal or plastic drums, which is better and why?
High, Low, or 3pt?
Size?  They seem to come in 3.5 cu. ft. up to about 8 cu. ft.  I also
notice
that some list drum volume, others list max batch size - beware of apple

and orange comparisons...

If I am going to do major concrete work I will call in a truck or for
just
2-4 yards there is a truck that will mix it on the fly...

Thanks in advance
Stuart.