Re: Auto tie-downs

To: "Steve Hammatt, Mount Vernon WA USA" <gsteve@hammatt.com>
Subject: Re: Auto tie-downs
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 02:27:04 -0400
On 8/17/06, Steve Hammatt, Mount Vernon WA USA <gsteve@hammatt.com> wrote:

> Since I'll be keeping the car trailer in the shop,
> I figured this will be an on-topic discussion.
> I've acquired a new enclosed car trailer.
> There are 9 sets of swing-up D-rings in the
> floor.  Instead of tying from the axels to the
> floor, I'm planning to snug around each tire
> and attach to 2 D-rings per wheel, one fore
> and the other aft of each wheel.  Rather than
> use a wheel net, I've seen a rather nice arrangement
> using a single web strap, with ratchets at each end.
> In the middle of the strap there would be what
> I'd call a short "loop strap" that slides with connectors,
> up and down the main strap.  The short and the long
> straps would form a loop that would slip over the
> tire (the majority of my tires are 36" dia x 4"-5" in
> width). I've seen this arrangement used on tow
> trucks, but don't see it anywhere for sale.

You're talking about something like this:
http://www.awdirect.com/awdirect/catalog.cfm?dest=itempg&itemid=9940&secid=92&linkon=subsection&linkid=458
?

I've never seen one with two ratchets.  One end of the strap has a
chain or hook on it.  On a flatbed tow truck, the plain chain end is
passed through a T-slot in the middle edge of the bed, the chain at
the othe end is attached to the ratchet.  It's also put through a
T-slot at the corner of the bed, and the ratchets used to tighten the
strap.  There are similar setups with hooks at each end for use with
D-rings.

The wheel net setup is easier to use on most vehicles, I think,
though.   Either works fine, and should be able to tow nearly anything
with out damage.

> My other concern is the quality of the ratchets.  I'm
> tired of so many ratchets that seem difficult to use,
> erratic in operation and subject to corrosion.  They
> all seem to be made in China or some similar place
> and while looking good when new, don't seem to
> wear well.  Does anyone have any experience with
> either the wheel loop method of tiedown and/or
> better quality ratchets?

AW direct are a pretty big supplier to the towing industry.  I've
never had a problem with their stuff.

Spend the money to get something professional grade.  That means on
the order of $50 a wheel, and you need to secure all four.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com