Auto tie-downs

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Auto tie-downs
From: "Steve Hammatt, Mount Vernon WA USA" <gsteve@hammatt.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 22:11:57 -0700
Since I'll be keeping the car trailer in the shop,
I figured this will be an on-topic discussion.
I've acquired a new enclosed car trailer.
There are 9 sets of swing-up D-rings in the
floor.  Instead of tying from the axels to the
floor, I'm planning to snug around each tire
and attach to 2 D-rings per wheel, one fore
and the other aft of each wheel.  Rather than
use a wheel net, I've seen a rather nice arrangement
using a single web strap, with ratchets at each end.
In the middle of the strap there would be what
I'd call a short "loop strap" that slides with connectors,
up and down the main strap.  The short and the long
straps would form a loop that would slip over the
tire (the majority of my tires are 36" dia x 4"-5" in
width). I've seen this arrangement used on tow
trucks, but don't see it anywhere for sale.

My other concern is the quality of the ratchets.  I'm
tired of so many ratchets that seem difficult to use,
erratic in operation and subject to corrosion.  They
all seem to be made in China or some similar place
and while looking good when new, don't seem to
wear well.  Does anyone have any experience with
either the wheel loop method of tiedown and/or
better quality ratchets?

Super thanks.

Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon WA USA