RE: Auto Scanners

To: "Timothy R. Hoerning" <hoerni@cooper.edu>,
Subject: RE: Auto Scanners
From: "Mullen, Tim" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 16:50:46 -0400
Timothy R. Hoerning wrote:

> What's a good scan tool for automobiles?   <...>
> I'd like to get something that can read codes and reset the
> Check Engine Light for OBD II at a minimum.  After that, I'd
> like something that could do the other cars, and finally it
> would be nice if it could also connect to a PC

You really don't need any scanner to read ODB-I codes.  There is usually
some provision to jumper a test connector and it will cause the codes to
flash on the "Check Engine Light".  There is a very limited number of
codes that can be flashed.

ODB-II cars however, have to have a scanner.  The codes are alpha as
well as numeric characters, and there can literally be thousands of
them.  The ODB-II interface is actually a computer interface and needs a
processor to read and display the codes.

Any scanner that can do both ODB-1 and ODB-II will be an ODB-II scanner
and some special connections to jumper the test light and flash the
code...

I have the scanner from http://www.obd-2.com/.  I have the TRICOM
version that can read all three ODB-II protocols (there are three
different ones PWM for Ford; VPW for GM, Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, Toyota
and Isuzu; and ISO for most everything else).  My TRICOM plugs into an
old laptop computer (75 MHz) that some one gave me, and it works just
fine.

Good name, by the way...   :)

Tim Mullen