Re: air jack cylinders

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: air jack cylinders
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 20:25:15 -0400
At 07:43 PM 7/13/2006 -0400, Skip Albright wrote:

>I been blessed(?) with a pneumatic axle lift jack.
>
>It's just what I need, but it's been outside for a few years.....

>now... how do I clean the cylinders and how smooth need they be?....
>wire brush?  flapper?  chemicals, electrolysis?
>
>Do they need to be mirror shined, or just smooth to the touch?

Skip,

I'm not expert or anything.  But I'd clean it with some emery paper or
600 then 1200 grit wet sandpaper.  Maybe even go up to 1500/2000.  But
instead of using water, I'd use a little oil to lubricate it.

The ram should be pretty polished, but it doesn't have to be perfect.
The key here is the smoother (shinyer - sp) the longer the seals will last.
But if you can replace the seals, that shouldn't be too much of a problem
unless they are expensive.

John

Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic