air jack cylinders

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: air jack cylinders
From: Skip Albright <salbrigh@nycap.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 19:43:45 -0400
I been blessed(?) with a pneumatic axle lift jack.

It's just what I need, but it's been outside for a few years.

the 7 inch air cylinders are sealed with o rings. the McMaster supplied easily.

now... how do I clean the cylinders and how smooth need they be?

they are pretty cruddy, the grease and mud came out easily, but the
part that was parallel to the ground had sitting water and the rust
is pretty rough.

wire brush?  flapper?  chemicals, electrolysis?

Do they need to be mirror shined, or just smooth to the touch?

thanks

Skip

Nothing is as it appears
Skip Albright  salbrigh@nycap.rr.com