Water Heater question

To: "shop-talk list" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Water Heater question
From: "Martin Sukey" <trmarty@glwb.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 21:41:23 -0400
I have an electric water heater that was installed when they built the house
in 1999. It is also tied in to the geo thermal system. As the hot water
leave the top of the tank there is a tee about 4 above the tank. Coming out
the side of the tee fitting there is some kind of device about 1 in
diameter and about = thick. There is screening over the face of it. My
guess it is some kind of vent or relief valve but it doesnt make any
sense why it would be in that location. About 6 above the tee is another
tee that contains the normal expansion chamber device. The lines then
continue at this point to feed hot water to the house.  For some reason the
vent or relief valve thingy that I mentioned earlier has recently decided to
start letting water come out of it. I cant remember seeing any device like
this in the plumbing isles of the local dyi stores.  Can anybody tell me
just what that vent relief valve thingy is and why it would decide to start
giving up water?

Thanks,

Marty Sukey