More Garage Floor Coating Questions

To: "Shop Talk List" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: More Garage Floor Coating Questions
From: "Doug Armstrong" <darmstrong@ptbo.igs.net>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 21:10:39 -0400
I have saved the communications on garage floor coatings over the past few
years in anticipation of eventually needing the information.  I will soon
take possession of a 6 year old house with a 1,000 sq.ft. garage . I plan to
cover the floor with 2 part epoxy.

I have a couple of questions that I have not seen asked before.

The floor has a bit of floor paint remaining from when the garage was new.
Will the muriatic acid strip this paint off, or do I need to use a print
stripper or floor sander before applying the muriatic acid?

I live in Ontario with moderately cold winters.  Does anyone have problems
with the epoxy lifting at the 4  6 outside the door seal or do people not
coat this area.

As a final question for discussion  solvent based or water based epoxy?  I
read a few horror stories on the list about water based epoxies in the past,
but have they got any better lately?

Thanks in advance,

Doug Armstrong