Re: Deck waterproofing and stain

To: "Bill Gilroy" <wmgilroy@gmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Deck waterproofing and stain
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 18:41:24 -0700
At 11:12 PM 4/10/2006 -0700, Bill Gilroy wrote:

>I have cleaned my deck and now I need to waterproof and protect the deck.  I
>would like to prevent the deck from graying and growing mildew.  I figure I
>need a product with the following things:
>
>    1. Very good waterproofing
>    2. A mildewcide to repel the black Washington slime
>    3. UV protection to prevent graying
>    4. A semi-transparent stain, the deck is sort of cedar colored
>
>I think that covers everything I want in a deck protection product.  Any
>recommendations or products that worked poorly?  Any sage advice?

I did my Mom's deck last year with Olympic deck cleaner and transparent stain.
The house is 35 years old now and we're still using the stains that were
recommended by the architect.  I've replaced one board because of a
burn.  Still in great shape.

Then my dad bought a house that was to be moved from a commercial property
onto a vacant lot.  He claimed that the material that was available in 1969 was
much better than what he was able to buy in 1972.  My mom hired a painter
who used latex house paint on that deck.  That deck had to be replaced within
three years.  I wasn't involved in the replacement but I think its Trex?  Looks
great as well.

Steve Shipley