Re: Deck waterproofing and stain

To: "Bill Gilroy" <wmgilroy@gmail.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Deck waterproofing and stain
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 10:04:04 -0400
At 02:12 AM 4/11/2006, you wrote:
>I have cleaned my deck and now I need to waterproof and protect the
>deck. ..... I think that covers everything I want in a deck
>protection product.  Any recommendations or products that worked
>poorly?  Any sage advice?

Only info I've seen is in Consumer Reports.  I'll be the first to
say, they don't know Jack S$$t about some things.  But they seem ok
on paint.  And they've had an annual article running for several
years now on exterior sealers and stains.

They have said most of them are nearly worthless.  The heavily
advertised "Thompson's" products in particular, were of little or no
value.  Some of the stains lasted two seasons,  but I figure once you
start with those, you're stuck continuing with them.

I'm leaving mine bare, and going composite when it rots.

   -Wayne