Re: miller spool guns for doing aluminum

To: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: miller spool guns for doing aluminum
From: "Chas. Schlismann" <racegt6@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 20:37:26 -0800 (PST)
Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com> wrote:
Howdy,

Related to this, for those of you that have been there and done that...

Two questions.

#1, can a spool gun be fitted to my Lincoln SP-175 plus suitcase mig?

#2, will a spool gun weld acceptably for non-pretty / non-critical things
like trailer cabinets, etc.? Do you need to use a different gas than the
normal 75/25 Ar/CO2 (if I remember that correctly...)? How's the quality
of the weld from AL MIG compare to AL TIG?
Thanks!
Mark

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

  Howdy Mark,
  #2 First: Use straight Argon for Al.  A little He doesn't hurt.  Prep your Al
by  cleaning w/a stainless brush that is dedicated to aluminum to remove oils
and oxide.  I wipe w/a fast drying solvent and carefully brush off the
oxidation on the Al.  Don't use an agressive abrasive; you can see the aluminum
oxide clean up.  It is often suggested to preheat the aluminum, but I've done
well skipping this step so long as the metal is approx. 70* F +.

  Yes, done right, aluminum mig can rival tig so far as quality.  Practice and
you'll also find bead appearance more than ok.

  Re #1: I don't know if a spool gun will fit up to your machine.  A good
welding supply shop may be be able to answer this question, but good luck.
I've found that a lot of my Chicago area shops either have have welding
engineers that know nothing but part numbers or old timers that have not kept
up.  Lincoln has a web site that supposedly will answer questions but I've
never gotten a reply to my queries.  Mebbe 'phone them.

  Personally, I'd bet there is a way to hook up a spool gun.  If not, I know
Lincoln had a liner kit for Al wire.  I know the liner set-up works, but it can
be a major PITA.  The wire is soft and kinks easily.  If your cablehose is in
perfect, kink-free condition and not too long it will work.  Keep the cablehose
straight and adjust feed roll tension and wire speed.  A bit of work.  I've
done it and so can you if care is exercised.
  HTH,
  Charlie