Re: gasoline resistant paint?

To: "Steve Shipley" <shiples@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: gasoline resistant paint?
From: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@Ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 09:35:13 -0600
> At 09:55 PM 1/6/2006 -0500, Eric J Russell wrote:
>
> >Seeking BTDT re: gasoline resistant paint. I need to paint the fuel
filler
> >assembly on our Alfa Spider. So I'm looking for something fuel-proof &
> >reasonably scratch resistant (to resist scratching from the fuel nozzle).
> >
> >I tried a google search for 'fuel resistant paint' but all the hits
> >referred to RC cars.
> >
> >I have some POR-15. Anyone know how gasoline resistant that stuff is? How
> >about epoxy paint in spray cans? My final thought would be powder
coating.
> Another candidate is Dupont Imron.  It's so tough I wasn't able to sand
out
> a run in the finish.
>
> Steve Shipley

Imron is tough, and I always thought that urethanes were fuel resistant, but
I've recently seen airplanes painted with various urethanes, with gasoline
stains from the dyes in the 100 Low Lead gasoline we use.  I have NOT seen
Imron with stains, but then again I haven't looked for stains on any planes
I know to have Imron on them.  I just bought a new plane (new to me - it's a
restored 1940 Stearman) and the top wings have Imron on them.  I'm going to
be careful not to spill.

But the urethanes don't seem to be softened or lifted or wrinkled by gas -
just stained.

Karl