RE: Furnace Settings

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Subject: RE: Furnace Settings
From: "Trevor Boicey" <trevor@boicey.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 13:32:40 -0500 (EST)
> Perhaps ... what kind of furnace do you have ?

  Natural gas forced air.

> Personally, I think that's a good thing.  I don't like the idea that a $40
> electronic gadget made in Taiwan has the potential to set my house on fire
> if it malfunctions. (Ask yourself what happens if the thermostat starts
> the burner but the fan motor doesn't run.)

  I would expect there to be safety devices in place to protect this,
although I am really just guessing. However this is a relatively modern
unit.

  I guess what I originally noted was that the discussing was about
setting limit switches on how long the blower should run after flame
off, and so on.

  In mine, this is done with menus in the thermostat. I believe it's
something like "for high efficiency furnaces, the blower setting should
start right away, for conventional, it pauses X seconds" and you can set
X, etc.

  Oh well, I probably don't have enough details on my system to really
contribute to the discussion, I just triggered that those are menu
options on my system, so if the original mechanical ones can malfunction
and cost money (as the original post stated) then the purpose of using
them seemed surprising.