Re: Shop heater

To: wmc_st@xxiii.com
Subject: Re: Shop heater
From: Trevor Boicey <trevor@boicey.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 01:51:49 -0500
wmc_st@xxiii.com wrote:
> OMG!  You're paying over $400/mo for fuel?!?!?  Have you heard of or
> looked into ground source heat pumps?

   I live in Ottawa, where we know cold...

   Natural gas is by far the preferred fuel where available, with oil
the slight leader where not available, some propane, and some with
pellet stoves or high efficiency wood stoves with electric backup.

   Full electric heat is only used in old homes or apartments, it's
extremely expensive. My biggest heating bills in mid winter are in the
$400cdn range for natural gas, electric could be a lot more.

   Anyways, of all the people around here, I only know one person who
runs a heat pump. He doesn't have gas available, and he also has a 15kW
electric forced air furnace.

   There might be others that I just never asked, but again, natural gas
forced air is the norm.

   There must be some reason why heat pumps aren't the thing to do,
because saving energy is heavily promoted here.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, trevor@boicey.com