RE: Shop Refrigerator

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Shop Refrigerator
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 10:21:43 -0800
> Since we recently got our
> first freezing
> weather, I was wondering if a refrigerator is affected by the outside
> temperature.  The shop is unheated so I'm pretty sure the temperature was
> around 32 degrees for a day or so.  Does a refrigerator depend on the
> temperature to function?

The problem is that the refrigerator's thermostat only checks the temperature in
the refrigeration compartment, not the freezer.  If the refrigeration
compartment is being kept at it's set point by outside temperatures, then the
compressor will never run to cool it down, and the freezer will not be cold.

Best solution is a separate freezer.  Easiest solution is to all a little heat
to the refer in cold weather, possibly by heating the garage a little, or by
putting a lit light bulb inside the refrigerator.

Randall