Re: leaky tires

To: john niolon <jniolon@bham.rr.com>
Subject: Re: leaky tires
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 22:46:31 -0500

shop-talk supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
http://fatchancegarage.com

On 11/24/05, john niolon <jniolon@bham.rr.com> wrote:

> shop-talk supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
> http://fatchancegarage.com
>
> I've just built a trailer for a portable welder... found a van rear axle with
> a reasonably good set of tires at the salvage yard...  my problem is that the
> tires will leak down over a week or so and it's a pain to keep them up.  Any
> suggestions for sealing them ??    slime ?? fix a flat ???   I've heard you
> can have problems with balance and vibration with some of the products... but
> on a trailer it probably shouldn't matter should it ???

Take them to a tire shop.  The most likely cause on old wheels is
rust, on the surface the tire bead seats on.   The solution is to take
the tires off the wheels, mechanically remove the rust from the
flange, apply a sealer, and reassemble.  The trailer will be much
nicer to pull with balanced wheels, and if you pull it fast or far, it
will be much nicer with ST (Special Trailer) tires, instead of
passenger or light truck tires.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com