Re: Tornado air swirling thingies

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tornado air swirling thingies
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 19:04:26 -0800

shop-talk supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
http://fatchancegarage.com

At 11:09 PM 11/8/2005 -0500, Rush wrote:

>Back in the turbo era, the Indycar teams used some vanes in the turbo
>inlet tract to start the air swirling the correct direction before it hit
>the compressor blades. They were very thin and only took up a small
>percentage of cross-section area. Dunno how much power they made, but the
>theory sounds good to me for a turbo inlet. Other than that, the Tornado
>is snake oil.
I've been looking into "tuning" my Talon and one of the tricks that is used
is to remove
the "honeycomb" from the MassAirSensor? (I think).  I think the point to be
learned is
that messing with the airflow MAY improve the performance.  But it's
sensitive and
other people claim it's a mistake.

The giveaway on the SwirlyThingies is that one size fits all.  There's a
small change
that it might work on one specific combination.  There's a much greater
chance that
it won't work on your configuration.  A dynamometer or some carefully
controlled and
measured quarter mile times is the only way to prove the effectiveness of
any tuning.

It's BullS#1t.