RE: Fusable links

To: Randall <tr3driver@comcast.net>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Fusable links
From: Bob Hare <rhare34@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 07:47:39 -0800 (PST)

shop-talk supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
http://fatchancegarage.com

Hi there,
I'm the guy John is talking about!

> I may be wrong, but I believe color is not a
> reliable indicator of size.

I now would agree with you, since most auto parts
stores carry various size wires, but only one color.

> They aren't normally rated by current.  The rule of
> thumb is to use a
> fusible link size that is 4 AWG numbers below the
> size of the wire you are
> protecting.

I've heard that before, but can't remember where.

> The ones I have seen are crimped, not soldered.  I
> don't think ordinary
> solder will stick to the wire used in at least some
> fusible links.

I ended up soldering the fusible link in line near the
starter, and didn't have ant problems with the solder
flowing.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Bob

Bob Hare (eBay id: rhare34)
Virginia Beach, Va.
1934 Ford Streetrod Pickup
2005 Ford Five Hundred Limited, 1984 Ranger
My site: http://www.geocities.com/rhare34/fordguy.html

If you can read this, thank a teacher.... If you are reading this in
English, thank a Veteran.......