Solar Air Heaters

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Solar Air Heaters
From: "Rich Gallagher" <rgallagrrr@mcn.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 19:03:22 -0700

shop-talk supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
http://fatchancegarage.com

Hello,
I've been lurking on this list for quite a while now and have enjoyed the
postings.  You are a wealth of practicle knowledge.  What I need help with is
how to deal with the ever increasing cost of natural gas and how that inpacts
heating my shop.  I live in central Montana and have a shop that is partially
heated with a natural gas overhead furnace (this half is about 1200 square
feet).  The other half is unheated  (except for a wood stove) and is used
primarily for storage but sometimes for projects.  All of it is fairly welll
insulated, albeit it is pole construction, with 3" on the heated side and 1
1/2 inches on the unheated side of foam under the sheet rocked walls and about
10" of blown-in in the ceiling of the whole thing.

My research indicates that a solar air space heater may result in heating cost
savings.  I could install it on the south wall (unobstructed to the sun).  We
get a lot of sun during the winter.  I'[m looking at a Cansolar SA240 Solar
Max unit. (http://shop.altenergystore.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=CANSOLARMAX240)

Anyone have any experience with this unit?  TIA
Rich