Re: electric baseboard heater repair

To: "E. John Puckett" <ejpuckett@centurytel.net>
Subject: Re: electric baseboard heater repair
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 23:52:46 -0500
On 10/30/05, E. John Puckett <ejpuckett@centurytel.net> wrote:
> 1 oh or less is reasonable for the heating element, it will get higher
> as it gets hot.  like you, I would think the thermocouple would be 0, or
> infinity, unless it is a thermister type deal.  thermostat makes me
> wonder though.  Is it an electronic type.  normally a thermostat is
> either open or closed.  the readings you gave would be for a control
> that turned the amount of heat up and down, but not for a thermostat
> that could turn it on and off.  Is there a control box all of this wires
> to that has a circuit board in it?

No, it's a plain old fashinoned thing, labeled zero to 10, plus HI, or
something like that, presumably with a bi-metalic strip in it.  The
resistance changes from 0 to infinity very quickly as you reach some
point in the middle.  The thermal overload thing is a round thing,
about the diameter of a half-dollar, and maybe 3/4 inch thick.  It's
got two wires, one attached to the hot wire from the wall, and then a
thick copper wire that runs along the top of the heater.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com