Air leak?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Air leak?
From: Matt Trebelhorn <matt.lists@trebelhorn.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 09:35:16 -0500
So I just bought a '76 fiat spider.  Pretty decent little car, all in
all.

One problem the owner pointed out sounded a little strange, though.

The tires lose air pressure pretty quickly.  Tires are new, valve
stems are new.  Wheels are 30-year old steel fiat wheels.  They're
old, but they don't look banged up.

The guy who owned it said that the wheels themselves leaked -- like
there were cracks in the rim or something.

So, a few questions:  while I've heard of wheels cracking around the
studs, I don't think I've heard of cracks out at the rim.  Does this
seem odd?

How would I go about checking this?  It takes a couple of days to
lose ~10 lbs pressure -- is that too slow to do a soapy-water test?

Might it be bad valve stems, or valves?

Anyway, thought I'd run it by the list and see what you think.

Thanks,
Matt