Re: Installing central a/c

To: pethier@isd.net, schauss@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Installing central a/c
From: "PJ McGarvey" <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 07:39:38 -0400
I recently installed the ductwork for a 2nd Floor system I had installed a
few months back.  The air handler only needs about a 4'x8' area, not
including the return (14" insulated flex duct) and supply (7" insulated
flex) and the refrigerant and condensate lines.  So it really can be
installed into a small space.

If it's going in the attic will it be above the second floor ceiling or
above the 1st floor ceiling?  To fit it behind a knee wall above the 1st
floor ceiling could theoretically cool the 1st and 2nd floor (with a large
enough unti of course) by putting registers in the ceiling of the first
floor, and in the walls/ceiling of the second floor.  Cutting the holes in
ceiling for supply/return wasn't a huge hassle and saved me a bunch of money
on labor.  It ended up costing me around $5k for a 1.5 ton system that
serves the upstairs, but really does an OK job on the 1st floor.  I have
about 1900 sq. feet, 9 ft. ceilings, new windows, but no insulation
(yet...).  I'm in Philadelphia, so the really hot, humid days it struggles,
but does keep the humidity down.  A new furnace in 2 weeks will allow me to
add a 1st floor system next summer.

The Unico, etc. systems start around $8k I think (TOH can definitely afford
it ;-), and they are really ideal for large old houses with intricate
molding and plaster that cannot be disturbed easily or without closets and
chases used for large supply and return ducting that new houses usually
have.  You can buy them online and maybe do all the labor yourself, leaving
the hookup, etc. for a pro.

PJ