Installing central a/c

To: "Shop-Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Installing central a/c
From: "Peter Schauss" <schauss@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 23:00:46 -0400
We are getting quotes for installing central air conditioning in our house.
The house is a 1 1/2 storey Cap Cod dormered out half way across the back.
It was built in 1958.  The first guy said that he could get a small air
handler into the attic to cool the second floor and proposed installing
"ductless" units on the first floor because of the difficulty of running
ducts down the first floor.

The second guy said that he could get ducts down to the first floor through
the "knee wall" attics on the front and back of the house.  He said that he
could get a duct into the room which is directly under the dormered out
section by running it under the floors of the rooms above it.  He is
planning to use six and seven inch ducts, depending on the size of the room.

Has anyone had experience with this sort of project, especially the part
about running the ducts under the floors?

Since I started researching the subject I ran across something called a high
velocity air conditioning system designed for older homes.  These systems
use two inch diameter pipes which are easier to route through existing walls
and under floors.  I found two companies which make these, Unico and
SpacePak.  Anyone have any experience with this type of system?  Would this
be overkill for the type of house that I have?

Thanks,
Peter Schauss