Solved - Tube attached to basement laundry sink

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Solved - Tube attached to basement laundry sink
From: "Steven W. Reilly" <luckyone@sentex.ca>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:03:39 -0400
I'd like to say thanks for all the suggestions regarding the line attached
to the Laundry tub.  I received around 10 replies, and in 7 or 8 of them
suggested an icemaker or similar device.  A couple suggested the
dehumidifier for the furnace (Checked - it wasn't that either).

Turns out that the line is for a "Trap primer" or prime line for the sewer
drain.  As far as I was able to figure out, what it does it keep the trap
full of water so that sewer gasses do not come up the plumbing.  It was
suggested that the tub is expected to be used occasionally, therefore
filling the trap.

  I talked to my friend again and he said that he very vaguely recalls the
plumber saying the line had something to do with the sewer Trap or gasses.

I had considered just capping off the connection at both ends, but perhaps
it will just have to be fixed again.  I assume that a bit of drywall will
have to come off as the broken end is very close to the wall, and a
connection there doesn't allow much for flexibility.

Again, Thanks for all the replies.
Steve