code readers (still more follow up)

To: Digest_Shop-Talk@Mail.Megageek.com
Subject: code readers (still more follow up)
From: Eric@megageek.com
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 14:09:32 -0400
I was working on my garage the other night when my girlfriend called me.
She was at her friends house and her friend's car wouldn't start.  With
hope in my breath, I asked the all concerning question...

"What year car does she have?"

To my surprise and excitement, the answer was "1996!"

Cool, my first chance to use my near $300 code reader!  I grabbed my laptop
and code reader and headed out the door.

The car wouldn't idle and the "check engine light" was on.

I plugged in the code reader and went to work.  I was trilled with the
amount of data the code reader provided.  In fact, it was way more than I
knew what to do with.  I found a bunch of fault codes (clearly spelled out
as to what they were) in the log.

I saved the codes to a local computer profile for the car, then cleared
them, (this way I could see what was old codes and what was current).  The
Check Engine light went off right away.

I was able to find the problem and have the car running within no time (and
I only needed a screw driver.)

While the fix was simple (and would have been one of the first things I
would have tried if I DIDN'T have the code reader,)  It was cool to have
the device.  After the fix, I was able to run a computer dianogsic on the
car (a feature of the software that comes with the code reader.)

It gave me a bunch of really cool feedback.

Again, I don't make any money if anyone buys one of these, but I think it's
cool if you have to work on a newer car.

I never thought I would see the day when I grab a laptop to troubleshoot a
car!

Now, to be a true geek, I'm looking for a laptop that I can dedicate to the
scanner.  And have WiFi and a built in cell modem for real time internet
access and...

Well, I'm getting ahead of myself!

Inch
http://megageek.com

 "Did you exchange, a walk-on part in the war,
for a lead role in a cage?"  R Waters.