RE: Fall protection

To: "'Paul Parkanzky'" <parkanz1@msu.edu>,
Subject: RE: Fall protection
From: "Aric Datesman" <adatesman@speakeasy.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:44:21 -0400
> Snip <
3) A belay device.  Judging by the difficulty you seem to have
fighting the force of gravity I would
recommend an "auto-locking" belay device.  The Petzl Reversino is
$27.  The Petzl Grigri is another nice option but $80.
> Snip <

Before you get too excited about saving $53 by getting the Reversino it can
not be set up as an autolocker when attached to your harness.  Its
autolocker setup is for bringing up the second person on the climb and has
the Reversino clipped into the anchor at the top and the rope running
through it and down to the person tied in at the end.  Not really a feasible
setup for what you have in mind since you wouldn't have a way to unlock it
and lower yourself.  It also assumes that you have someone at the top with a
hand on the free end to pull it taught should you fall.

The Grigri will lock automatically to catch a fall, but I'm not sure how it
would take to being only partially weighted as you move around (might slip).
It might work though, but not with 8mm rope.  It only works with 10mm -
11mm.

That said, climbing equipment isn't hard to use, but it is certainly easy to
use _incorrectly_.  Do be careful if you go that route and get instruction
if possible.  I've used climbing gear for things like that on occasion, but
I also rock climb and already have / know how to safely use the equipment.

-Aric.