Fall protection

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Fall protection
From: "Chas. Schlismann" <racegt6@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 18:48:52 -0700 (PDT)
I need to clamber about my steep roofs to do some work.  I've fallen off my
house roof four times, so I need some help with a system that will allow some
mobility yet provide protection.  I'm thinking about some sort of harness
system but don't understand why some cost under $50 and others well into the
hundreds of $$.

 On my last trip up I tied a v. long piece of nylon rope about my torso, threw
the other end (weighted) over the roof and had my son tie it to a truck bumper.
 I felt very much a jewel thief or spy.  The plan was for my son to use the
bumper as a capstan and wind up the slack as I moved up.  My boy went to the
head so I wound the cord around my gut as I worked my way up the rear dormer.
The missus came out and yelled up that she was going to the store and fired up
the truck...

I need something that works independently of a pranking family.  Advice
welcomed.

TIA, Charlie