really final networking question

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: really final networking question
From: scott.hall@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 18:46:01 +0000
the cable is all run, the router is configured, just have to connect the drops
and we're good to go.

final question: because of a recent printer addition, I have more networked
devices than ports on the router or runs of cable.  looking around turns up a
'switch' which seems to be a variation on the router.

sooo...is the switch roughly analogous to a cable splitter in that I can
connect a switch to a router port and then run two lines off the switch to two
printers?  or even three?  and if I can do that, can I just skip running
another cat-5 line through the attic and just run it off the outet in this room?

or:

now:

coax-->cable modem-->router-->4 individual cat-5 lines through
attic-->individual computers/printers in different rooms

can I:

coax-->cable modem-->router--> 1 & 2

where

1. three individual cat-5 lines through attic-->individual computers/printers

2. switch-->two individual cat-5 lines through attic-->individual devices

and if I can do that, what's to stop me from (in theory) just running one cat-5
line to each room, then a switch in each room connecting to the networked stuff?

and if I'm totally off about all this, what exactly is a switch, and how do it
know where to send the stuff?  how's it different from a router?  googling
makes it seem like just a simpler/dumber version of a router.

thanks.

scott