Re: anybody have any experience with leaky water lines to

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: anybody have any experience with leaky water lines to
From: Steve Dillen <sdillen@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 10:53:42 -0700
The city replaced the water main down our street this summer and in
doing so ran new copper from the main to the new shut-off valves they
were installing (in preparation for adding meters in the next few
years).  They ran the copper under the street by feeding a winch cable
through the old plastic pipe and pulling the new 3/4" copper through
(splitting as it went) the old pipe.  My house was the last one they
opened up on a Friday afternoon and the crew suggested that since their
work was a result of frequent breaks and the same plastic pipe that they
were replacing with copper was on the "my" side of the shutoff and since
my lawn was already torn up that this was a great opportunity for me to
replace the feed to the house.

I hand trenched the 40' from the meter to the house (24" deep), and
replaced the plastic with 3/4" copper (the same as the city ran under
the street).  I figured that there was no point in going larger since
the 40' from the meter to the main was 3/4" as well.  At the same time,
I took the opportunity to bring the water into the house in a different
location since it originally came through the floor about 5" from the
wall in my basement.  I also replaced all shutoff valves, the prv, and
the original interior 1/2" copper line that ran from the reduction valve
to the "split" between hot and cold water feeds with 3/4".  This ended
up being part of one of those never ending projects....
...since I'm moving the water feed, I should run it in the wall/ceiling
...since I'm replacing the water line, I should replace all of the old
copper and shutoff valves and upgrade to ball valves
...since I'm cutting the ceiling and walls, I should repaint
...since I'm repainting I should change the carpet
...since I'm doing that, I should get rid of the wall-to-wall brick
fireplace that I hate
...since I took that out, I should re-insulate
...since the walls are out, I should rewire
...and so it goes.....

The water line portion of the project was about $300 in parts.

I asked the crew "why copper?" and the best answer was that it was easy
to locate.  Plastic doesn't conduct electricity, although I understand
that there is some plastic available which has a trace wire in it.  The
fact that they were running copper was good enough for me.

Where I brought my pipe through the wall of the foundation, I installed
(in order)
1. A ball shutoff valve
2. a union
3. a T with a "line pressure" gauge
4. my PRV
5. a T with a "house pressure" gauge
6. a union
7. a ball shutoff valve.

This way, I can shut off the two ball valves and take the entire
PRV/pressure gauge assembly (from 2 to 6) out for maintenance without
draining the entire house water system.

Steve