Re: Halogen pot lights

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Halogen pot lights
From: Jimmie Mayfield <mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 09:37:27 -0400
On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 01:08:36PM -0400, Wayne wrote:

> The bulbs here have a "P" or "PR" number depending on the size -- the
> most common medium one is about 5" at the wide end.  IIRC, it's a
> PR30.  We have 'em in the office here, and their life span is
> pathetic!  (approx 4 months)

That does seem a little short.  Is it possible that your office is subjected
to voltage surges?

Then again, since it's an office environment, I'm assuming those lights are
used 8-10 hours per day.  If a typical bulb is rated at 2000 hours, it would
last
less than a year.

> They make a energy-saving florescent replacements with a coiled tube
> inside the regular glass cone.  They're expensive, like $15 USD, but
> ours are still going after two years or more.  Unfortunately, the
> light output slightly is less than a regular 65W.

I have some of these.  I agree, they are expensive and they do put out a little
less light than the 65W incandescents.  I lucked-out and found some on
clearance
at Home Depot at 4 bulbs for $17 I think.  Frankly, I was disappointed.  Since
these are reflector bulbs, I had hoped that they would be brighter than the
plain 13W fluorescent bulbs I'd been using before.  Nope.  I can't really tell
a difference in brightness.  I'm also not fond of the pinkish hue of these
new lights.

Given that you can often find the plain 13W bulbs on clearance 5 for $10 or
better, if you don't mind the look of regular spiral bulbs in your recessed
cans, I think they're a better deal.  Especially if you can find some that
have a color temperature that you like.

Jimmie