Re: Halogen pot lights

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Halogen pot lights
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:08:36 -0400
At 10:55 AM 8/11/2005, you wrote:
>   My finished basement has a large area that is lit with recessed
> lighting. Each light is a single bulb, not in fixtures or groups.
> The lights live in little "cups" in the ceiling, where small
> halogen bulbs screw in.

Oh... Ok  ;)  Formally called "recessed lighting".  I know I've heard
colloquial terms to, but don't recall them.

>The bulbs have the same conical shape ... The bottoms side ends up
>flush with the roof and fills the hole.

The bulbs here have a "P" or "PR" number depending on the size -- the
most common medium one is about 5" at the wide end.  IIRC, it's a
PR30.  We have 'em in the office here, and their life span is
pathetic!  (approx 4 months)

They make a energy-saving florescent replacements with a coiled tube
inside the regular glass cone.  They're expensive, like $15 USD, but
ours are still going after two years or more.  Unfortunately, the
light output slightly is less than a regular 65W.

Was also suggested that industrial electric supply places had ones
rated for 130V, rather than 120, that lasted longer.  We bought a
case of those;  they last, but the light output is yellowish and even
less than the florescents.

     -Wayne