Re: Question about the garage foundation ...

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Question about the garage foundation ...
From: wmc_st@xxiii.com
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:06:42 -0400
At 12:50 PM 8/10/2005, you wrote:
>So the questions are (1) what might cause the block to "rot" away?
>and (2) what should he do about it?

Wow!  I've never seen anything like that!  Where are you located, and
do you know what the required foundation depth is?!  It's based on
the freeze depth in the region.  Back in Ohio, I think it was
6ft;  now in NC it's 18";  uncle in Colorado says it's 11ft (!!) there.

Acids and salts can seriously corrode cement.  Maybe a low-PH
soil?  No clue how to fix -- looks like something serious enough to
call a structural engineer.

    -Wayne