need to replace copy stand base...

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: need to replace copy stand base...
From: Richard George <rkg@teleport.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 10:27:14 -0700
Hey guys,

I recently got a photography gig halfway across the country that
requires the use of a copy stand.  I've
got one, but I needed one that would fit in a "normal" suitcase, so I
bought an old version of a testrite
unit on ebay.  The arm/column seem solid enough (their older boom design
was much
better than the newer one in that it was a casting that is Really
Stiff), but the clamp that attaches the column to the
base SUCKS - its very wobbly.  I was thinking I could get one of the
newer column clamps from
testrite, but they don't look a whole lot better.

Does anybody know where I can get some kind of heavy duty (but not too
big) clamp that can be screwed/bolted/?
onto a flat surface and hold a piece of 1.25" OD tubing perpendicular to
the surface via some kind of
clamping mechanism?  I'm sure I've seen stuff  like this before, but I
can't find the right keyword to find them online...

I was trying to avoid having to build one from scratch as I don't have
access to a machine shop at the moment
(got laid off a couple of months ago, my metal lathe is in parts on the
floor, yadda yadda), so any help would
be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

rkg