Engineering 101

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Engineering 101
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:38:05 -0700
   I am not even sure how to describe this but I will try anyway.

   I saw a cool toy many years ago (decade ago?) and I remember that they
wanted way too much money for a few hundred dollars in steel and some
welding, so I am going to make my own.

  What I need to figure out is how to make a 90degree turn and turn a shaft
with some gears.  I have a 1/2" shaft coming out of a I-beam that goes into
a frame about 4 inches, it needs to turn a threaded rod that is at
90degrees to that shaft.  I have browsed and searched the net for hours and
hours, I have found some small gears that would do the job but they are pot
metal and the threaded shaft is going to be supporting nearly a 1,000lbs,
the shaft actually does not support the weight but it will move the weight
on casters in a "lipped channel"  so the small gears I found being pot
metal probably would not work.   It can even be geared to make it easier to
move if that can be found.

   It took me hours to find the profile of the steel that I need is called
a "lipped channel".  After I found the name/type of channel I found it even
locally, so I can imagine it will take me months to find the gears that I
know are out there somewhere, any suggestions would be appreciated.  Is
there a name for such a beast that I can search for ?

   Next item on the list is the threaded shaft, I was going to use simple
all-thread but I found references to ACME threads and that sure sounds like
a Wiley Coyote disaster waiting to happen to me but they are supposed to be
better, are they ?

        Mike

Mike Rambour
Bug Writer err...Programmer
       mikey@b2systems.com
If you want to learn more about the ULTIMATE BRITISH sports car,
then take a look at   http://www.singercars.com/