Re: Racer Community Garage Ideas

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Racer Community Garage Ideas
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:43:51 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, Kendall Jones wrote:
> Anyone here involved with one of those "group of
> racers who rent a warehouse" projects?

Nope.  I'm involved in a "a friend works at a garage and I sorta know the
owner, so I go there when I want to work on stuff and they're cool with
it" project...  :-)

But that doesn't stop me from having an opinion!

> I'm thinking of setting up a shop where racers / hot rodders could store
> their cars & work on them.  The building would have a lift / shop air /
> bead blaster / shop tools / etc.
>
> I've got a company to put it in (so I wont be liable in my name), and a
> partial business plan.  I haven't looked into local codes, pricing, or
> other hiccups (having fuel in cars that are in buildings seems to be
> problem in some townships ;)
>
> But, this list seems to have ideas up the wazoo, so let me hear them.
> If your near Detroit, and interested, lemme know!

The very much first thing I'd do, would be to find out about insurance.
Primarily against liability for injuries, but also fire, theft (including
theft by members... think tools!), etc.  I'd be even more worried about
this if this was an "I'm going to advertise for people I don't know to
join" type of thing vs. four buddies who've known each other for a while
and who are going in on a shared shop together (and, even then, I'd have
similar concerns).

Mark