RE: Interchangeable Implements of Destruction

To: "Rush" <jdrush@enter.net>, "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Interchangeable Implements of Destruction
From: "Lee Hart" <LeeHart@LeeHart.Com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 20:40:07 -0700
Jon:
> My string trimmer and my hedge trimmer both died in the
same week. :(
> I see some lawn and garden devices with a single power
unit and
> interchangeable accessories.
> http://www.echo-usa.com/prods_list.asp?Category=PROATTACH
> http://www.kawpowr.com/handhelds/accessories.asp
> http://www.stihlusa.com/multitask/index.html
> Anybody tried these? Are they gimmicky or good? Who's do
you think is
> the best?

I have a Stihl unit with string/blade trimmer, chainsaw, and
brush trimmer. I'm quite happy with it.

I can't say what is best, but my local dealer carries the
Stihl units, and it's what I bought. I'm quite happy with
it, and I can see buying more attachments for it (maybe the
mini tiller, maybe the edger).

A friend has a Stihl on it - he also rather enjoys his
"Chainsaw on a Stick".

I would recommend getting the most powerful head unit
available. It's a bundle up front, but it's amortized over
several tools, and you can always use less power than max,
but it's hard to add power. I definitely am taxing my unit
when using the chainsaw on larger branches (I have the KM85
- I wish I'd bought the largest unit).

Lee